Friday, March 10, 2006

These days most of my time and thinking is devoted to the subject of shoes...which has become normal for me now (!) but some people still find it difficult to believe that I can make a radio show week after week about the marvellous subject of shoes... Well, I would say it depends on how broadly you want to define the subject. If I were just to talk about shoes, actual descriptions of peoples' shoes would become repetitious and boring after a while-so the context is all important. And I think it's all about people and their experience(s) of and surrounding shoes. And that goes just about as far as you want to take it!
So the series so far has included something about the history of shoemaking, footwear education today, medieval pointy shoes, high heels and fetish and the last show was an interview with 'Mr Shoe' Terry de Havilland, who has been called 'the forgotten genius of shoe design'.
I've been thinking about the next programme I'm going to make and really it's about the stories we tell about our shoes, and about ourselves. Each shoe has its own story and its own set of associations...

No comments: